Sunday, July 4, 2010

read to your kids...early

Maybe this will be a short blog for once…let me set the scene. I’m sitting on the speckled, red berber carpeting at the foot of my bed. My boys are crashed out and so are my parents. My wife is keeping me company, staying up much later than either of us planned. We’re all in a hotel together, recovering from our long but fun day of enjoying summer break.

Earlier I was reflecting about how lucky our boys are because my wife is a bookworm. I don’t know how many of you all read my introduction but she is a lover of literature and one of her many book related passions is children’s stories. I think she was amassing her collection all those fifteen years ago before we even met. The horde has grown over time as she’s scoured book stands at the flea market and eagerly attended library sales (I’ve never met someone get so excited over a dusty $0.50 set of cardboard pieces surrounding crunchy pages). I like the pictures, she loves the stories…it is starting to wear off on me, but it’s really impacting the boys.

Our oldest started his affair early. I think his one of his favorite stories at the beginning was good night gorilla. It is a story about a sleepy zookeeper and a precocious gorilla who releases each and every successive animal from their enclosure that the zookeeper says “good night” to. It is a sweet story and perfect for bedtime because not more than once, do the characters in the story go to sleep.

The text in the story was simple; “Good night gorilla” “Good night giraffe” “Good night lion” (I think that is the actual order in which the animals are put to bed; I’ve read that story too many times). Our son would love to say the animal’s names at each successive page; he loved to make the “boop, boop, boop…” sound effects as all the animals marched behind the zookeeper to go to sleep at his house. Then he would crack up when the wife’s eyes sprang open after all the animals said good night and she had to walk them back to their cages. That was his favorite for a very long time; our younger son likes it too, but it is funny that he responds to different parts in a completely different way.

According to Ms. Wolf our son was preparing to read every single time we opened that book together. In fact he has been preparing to read from the very moment he opened his first book as a baby. Chapter six of Proust and the Giant Squid by Maryanne Wolf is all about the young reader’s brain and the biological components that prepare a child to learn to read. Apparently the very act of sitting in the lap of a loved one and listening to a beloved story being read sets the scene for children to become successful readers themselves; the simple act of sitting in someone’s lap creates a love memory that endures in the subconscious that we all respond to when we curl up with a good book.

In chapter six, Ms. Wolf seems to list countless positives for a child to be exposed to reading at a very early age. In an effort to be concise, I will list some of them here. As I type these points, please keep in mind that when I say a child is reading, it most always means “when the child is listening to an adult read to them”. Thanks for that little side note.
-Kids learn to experience and practice different emotions by reading and empathizing with the characters they read about.
-Kids learn different kinds of language skill types, like “for no light ever touched his skin”…no one really talks that way…that is her point; even though no one actually does talk that way, kids still learn to not only understand it, but associate it with the magic of the imaginary world.
-There are some others, but mainly, it seems like common sense…reading at an early age is good…

But reading at too early of an age is bad. Have you seen those commercials on kids cartoon stations? They say that you too can teach your baby to read!!! Well, I know I’ve been tempted by them. Though I tend to be skeptical of tv commercials in general, it is real tempting, I mean, who wouldn’t want their kids to learn to read early right? Well, apparently most everyone should NOT want their baby to read early. Apparently it may actually compromise future comprehension. So unless a child shows that she or he WANTS to learn early, it is a bad idea to push them to do so…

So, I’m getting pretty tired. I need to post this blog.

I will leave with two thoughts:

1. It takes children roughly 2,000 days to learn to read, whereas it took human culture roughly 2,000 YEARS to develop reading as we know it.

2. Rhyming helps kids to learn to read more efficiently. It has something to do with identify like sounds and thereby identify the components of words and thereby recognize that components of sounds link to make individual words…

Good night everyone.


And....joyous randomness:

12 comments:

  1. I would have never thought that reading too early as a bad thing. I too have watched those comercials and thought...who wouldn't want their baby to read. However it makes since that their brain is not ready yet and by pushing them we could actually hurt their development. Great post! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too love to read children's books. I still have all the books I've collected over the years of reading to my children. Glad to know it helped them as much as it helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "good night gorilla"!!! I love that story, I had almost forgotten that book b/c it has been so long since I read that book to my oldest son. I was terrified that my little guy (at the time) would pick up some bad habits from that gorilla. HAHAHHAHAAH I was too wound up back then. The second one mellowed me. HEEHEEHEEHEE. Glad to hear how your boys are benefitting from your wives addiction. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good night Gorilla has been a favorite for my young children as well. They crack up at the part when the lights go out and the mom's eyes pop open.....every time. Those commercials seem so strange to me. Although they promote literacy which is obviously important they do not take into account the reality that children need to first make sense of their world. Children are curious creatures and they naturally seek knowledge. Left to their own devices they will begin to ask literacy questions----along with the 1,000's of other questions that they ask----I am teaching my son to read this summer but only because he asked. Even then, it was phrased as, "Mama, can you teach me how to read today?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope we all have great memories of being read to as a child, and reading to children ourselves. I love taking on the role of the character in the book I'm reading. It seems to take my students by surprise the first time I morph into a different personality. Taking this aesthetic stance really makes reading enjoyable for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish all parents understood how important it is to read to their children from the time they are little. Some of my dearest memories are reading with my kids and sometimes reading the same book over and over because they loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was read to very early...and was comfortable with reading before i went kindergarten. i will definitely read to my kids.....

    i always thought those baby flashcards were just plain silly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Good Night Gorilla, and I think I still have it buried somewhere under all my college books:) And I still love being read to... I think audiobooks are fabulous. Reading out loud is a great practice, especially in the classroom. Mahna Mahna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was also read to very early, and have since been a total bookworm. I never read Goodnight Gorilla, but when I worked at a pre school we played a game based on the book. They totally loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great blog on one of my favorite things: children's books. I grew up with a big collection of books and I have always loved reading. And I remember when my mom and my sister would sit and read to me. Its memories like this that make me just smile. Books are such a powerful tool, especially with children. They can open up new worlds to them and I think its sweet that your kids have that one favorite book (like most children) and they never get tired of the story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't really considered it to be damaging to teach babies to read. That's actually a pretty interesting point to bring up, because as Joice stated, children do need to make some sense of the world first. I don't buy into the hype of those baby flash cards though. Kids tend to associate images to sounds anyway, so I'm definitely skeptical.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, i love the muppet show, I wish they would bring it back. It is 2 am and that video made my day or night. I am tired of typing. By the way - I never liked the commercials for babies can read, my instinct told me it was not good. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't wrong in thinking like that. I loved the personal story about your son and the book "good night gorilla".
    ellie

    ReplyDelete